Wednesday, June 11, 2008

CSA box--June 11

We picked up our first CSA box this afternoon:
Lettuce, a bag of spinach, a bag of salad mix, carrots, radishes, bok choy, cilantro, peas, beets and a little box of strawberries.

Loving husband is looking forward to cooking the bok choy. He's already got something in mind.

I am stuck with the beets.

shudder

I have to learn to cook beets. I hated beets when I was a kid, except for pickled beets, probably because once they're pickled they no longer taste like beets. Beet-lovers assure me that beets are delicious. We're about to find out.

----------------------------------
Adding later:
We ate bok choy for dinner. It was delicious.

We had fresh green salad too, with radishes for the top. Yum.

I made a carrot-radish relish (recipe here), which used the rest of the radishes, some of the carrots, and a little of the cilantro. It was all right.

My own spinach is coming on strong in the garden, so the CSA spinach has been frozen for future use in quiches, omelets, and soups.

The fine young gents are in their tent in the back yard shelling and eating the peas. They had their eyes on the strawberries too, but I told them hands off, the berries are for breakfast.

We still have the beets. I was kind of hoping that while my back was turned, someone would sneak into my kitchen and whip up a tasty shredded beet-and-carrot salad, or some roasted beets with caramelized something. No such luck.

2 comments:

living in PA said...

What a great selection. There are so many strawberries at the farm now that they are letting the CSA members pick their own - in addition to what they are getting. There were a lot of people out there yesterday and it was so cool!
I have a great bok choi soup recipe. I'll email it to you because if your CSA is anything like the one here - you will be getting a lot of it.

Elizabeth said...

I don't have a clue what CSA is but Cat that is one pretty picture. I love all the colors in it. I hope the veggies taste as good as they look in the picture.