Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Hand-me-downs

My sisters were over tonight, visiting.

My adorable nephew came along, with his brothers and sisters. Isn't he darling?



I got to hold him and cuddle him and kiss his sweet little head.

He was wearing hand-me-downs from the gents: A flannel shirt and my very very most favorite pair of baby jeans. All three of the fine young gents wore those clothes. Sometimes that very outfit, the shirt and pants together. I love seeing him in the clothes we've passed on.

I know it is right that our family move on out of the baby part of our life and into a new season. I chose this life so that I could spend as much time as possible enjoying and watching and guiding them was they grow and learn and change into the people they are meant to become. I don't want another little baby (most days). But seeing Will in that little outfit...it was so sweet and it made me a little sad and nostalgic too. They don't only grow out of the clothes, they grow out of their little baby selves too. I'm mourning the passing of what's been a beautiful magical season of our lives together, even as I celebrate and look forward to what's ahead.

Tonight I miss my babies. Tomorrow they'll wake up and amaze me with the marvellous people they've grown into. And maybe I can convince one or two of the littler guys to sit on my lap and snuggle.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I was visiting with a friend a few days ago. She has a baby. (2 years old but still a baby in my book.) Baby had just woke up from an afternoon nap. Baby was cuddling with mom. A simple exchange. Mom said, "Hungry?" Baby murmured, "uh huh." More hugs and love.

For a split second, I thought about having another. And I thought how it all used to be so easy.