Saturday, November 04, 2006

Glasses

One fine morning the youngest helpful gent decided to help me put on my glasses, and that was the end of that pair. It was time for a new pair anyway, but in the meantime I dug around for my old wire-rimmed pair and wore those while I waited. Every time I looked in the mirror my glasses just disappeared into my face. I just didn't look like me any more. Kind of like the time I dyed my hair red-- it was cute, but I didn't look like me to myself.

"Boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses." Those geeky, intensely self-conscious high school years wishing I didn't wear glasses took their toll. I always chose gold wire-rimmed "I'm not really wearing glasses" glasses. But secretly, I kind of wished I was brave enough to choose something just a little different.

And then I did. What prompted the change? Who knows? But a couple years ago when I ordered new specs I chose red "I wear glasses! " glasses. (Ok, in the interest of honesty, the eyeglass lady chose them for me. By the time I get close enough to actually see the glasses my nose is nearly touching the mirror-- squinting at a pair of glasses from a couple inches away doesn't quite let one know how they look. But I did tell her that I wanted glasses that say "I wear glasses!" ) When I ordered my replacement glasses I asked for a pair just like the ones that were broken by my sweet guy.

My new glasses are in and I look like myself again-- the shy nearly invisible glasses are back in the drawer. I still look kind of geeky. But now I look like I'm doing it on purpose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photo. I don't wear glasses but for what it is worth I really do perceive people who wears glasses as smarter!