Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Frosty morning

The kindergarten gent and I walk to the elementary school down the street so that he can go to P.E. with the other kindergarteners. He loves getting to play games with the other kids, so I drag my rear out of bed at 6:30 a.m. twice a week and volunteer in the school library for half an hour while he's in the gym. Yesterday was freezing. We got all bundled up-- coats, hats, gloves-- and went shivering through the fog. Kindergarten gent found a pretty frosty leaf to give to the crossing guard.

We were across the street from the school when I realized that something was missing. There were cars in the parking lot. No kids. No crossing guard. Seems it was parent-teacher conference day and I'd forgotten to check the school calendar. "I could have slept in!" I groaned to myself as we turned to trudge home. What I think I said out loud was "What an adventure! We got to go for a walk on this foggy frosty morning!" What a bunch of hooey.

Then the sun peeked out and the frosty world turned magical. Everything was glittering and sparkling. Our walk turned into a real adventure. No need to hurry home, so the fine young gent was able to meander and poke around and look at things without being hurried along. "Look at this, Mom!" he'd say. Our favorite finds: Spider webs with beads of ice strung along the strands and sparkling leaves that looked as though they were covered with glitter.

2 comments:

KarenK said...

Serendipity!

Anonymous said...

Great story. It is so nice to have time to dilly dally.