Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Conversation


Out of the blue: "Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Someday I want to be a teacher."

"Okay." (Thinking, Hey, sounds good. He must enjoy learning.)

"I'm going to be a music teacher."

Me, with a smile: "Oh, good. Then you can teach something you enjoy."

"Yeah. I'm going to teach my students, then they can be in my orchestra. I'm going to be a orchestra leader, too."

I think to myself that sounds pretty ambitious and kind of cool.

"I'm going to be a composer too. I'll write the music, then I'll teach my orchestra and they can play the music I wrote. Won't that be cool, Mom?"

Yes. Yes, son, that will be cool. Very cool. I love to hear this, living out their dreams out loud. I can't wait to see it.
---------------------------------------
Adding later: Loving Husband's reaction, "Think this kid has control issues?"

Me, after I stopped laughing: "No. Not at all. And he does NOT get them from his mother." At all.

Loving Husband is such a sentimental guy, isn't he?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sweet.

After reading about Mr. Edwards in Little House. I explained to Cate what the word bachelor means. A few days later she tells me after college I am "going to find a "Chinese bachelor" and marry him. I love those conversations where she is trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up. Right now it is a mommy and a teacher.