Sunday, July 08, 2007

Saturday Review Book Challenge

Sherry at Semicolon has posted a book challenge:

"It’s called the Saturday Review of Books Reading Challenge, and it’s very simple. Read six of the books that have been linked to reviews at the Saturday Review of Books in the past year. Read the six books by December 31, 2007, review them at your blog, and leave a link to your reviews at the Saturday Review of Books."

Like Sherry, I'm not much of a book challenge joiner. I always think, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice? What fun!" but I never get off my duff to make a list, mostly because the challenges have a time limit. And what if I didn't finish in time? (Gasp!) But I enjoy reading as many of the Saturday reviews as I can, I like the idea of actually reading some of the books I've seen reviewed, and the December 31st deadline works for me. Surely I can read 6 books by the end of 2007. Here's my list, in no particular order. (Not true, the list is in alphabetical order, which is really neither here nor there.)

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, Michael Pollan.
Reviewed by Kathryn at Suitable for Mixed Company.
I've had this on my to-be-read list for quite a while. Loving husband snatched it up first, then my sister had to return her library copy before she'd finished, and once I got it back I was reading another book. I'd like to read this book before December.

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy, Jeanne Birdsall.
Reviewed at Wisdom Has Two Parts and by Sherry at Semicolon.
I keep seeing this at the bookstore, intending to pick it up "sometime." It looks like it belongs on the Poohsticks bookshelves, doesn't it? The UPS guy will be delivering The Penderwicks to my door, probably on Wednesday. I'm putting it on my list so that it doesn't disappear in plain sight in the to-be-read pile.

Small Beauties: The Journey of Darcy Heart O'Hara, written by Elvira Woodruff and illustrated by Adam Rex.
Reviewed by Nina at one of my favorite blogs, Painted Rainbows and Chamomile Tea.
Nina reviews such interesting and lovely picture books. I often make library requests based on her recommendations, and I've never been disappointed. The gents and I will enjoy reading this together.


The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson.
Reviewed by HeidiJane at Adventures in Bookland.
I've wanted to read this for quite a while, but I keep putting it off in favor of more flashy read-me-now books. If it's on my list maybe I'll finally read it.


A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini.
Reviewed by Carol at Magistra Mater.
I'd intended to read this anyway, then my mother loaned me her copy. Is it cheating to put it on the list if I'm already reading it? I just started.



Walk Two Moons, Sharon Creech.
Reviewed at Framed and Booked.
Another children's lit award winner that I've always wanted to read. We have a copy that I picked up for $2 at a used bookstore, but I've never read it.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Welcome, Cathy. I've read two of the books on your list (Penderwicks, Dr. Jekyll), and I think you'll enjoy them. And I want to read the rest of your choices. So many books. . .

Carrie said...

I've read Jekyll as well and LOVED it!

My reading challenge includes your recommendation "The Unwritten Rules of Friendship" which I am very much looking forward to and, again, thank you for the recommendation!

Kathryn Judson said...

Thanks for the link, and also for the nudge. I'm not much of a reading challenges person (you should see the to-be-read stack I already have!), but you're right, this one seems more do-able than most of the others. Hmmm...