Sunday, December 17, 2006

Random Notes

Remember our big living room picture window? The huge, fifty-and-then-some year-old single pane glass window? (I know, some of you don't even know we've got a big picture window. Had. Just pretend you remember it fondly-- you're a perceptive bunch and you can already tell this story does not have a happy ending.) Lovely lady, 11, was playing with the youngest gent, slipped and fell against the couch, which slammed into the window. We now have a styrofoam non-window covered with lovely plastic sheeting. I'm just grateful that it was the couch and not a headfirst child.

Fine young gent, 6, was sick today. High fever. He told me that he felt "spongy." I knew exactly what he meant.

I made this:

And this:

And this:

The gents are going to be so excited about their capes. Capes made with less than half the fabric were going for $25 and up at the Holiday Market. At $1.99 a yard, it cost me $6 plus thread and ribbon and a couple hours to make the capes (and mine are hemmed and edgestitched and have finished necklines instead of bias tape). Too bad the idea of sewing the same thing over and over and over again makes me want to jump out a window.

I decided to count the Hot Wheels, just for curiousity. Without counting the cars hiding in the crack of the couch, under the beds, at the bottom of the toy box, in the van, in the laundry hamper, and all of the other places they tend to hide, the boys had 90 little cars. Nope. Not a typo. NINETY. Sheesh! Guess what they asked Santa to bring? I just hope that they don't become those balding 40ish men waiting outside Target on Tuesday mornings, hoping to be the very first to buy the newest Hot Wheels for their collection.

The gents were in the Sunday school Christmas program today. The two youngest gents wouldn't go up in front of the church without me, and the 2-3 year-olds don't really sing anyway, so the preschool program consisted of me and two Sunday school teachers singing "Happy, Happy Birthday, Jesus!" while the little ones stared at the audience. The middle gent would only stand with his back to the audience. The oldest gent is in a different class. He was all dressed up for the program but he didn't take off his jacket because he was cold. He drew a picture of the Christmas star and his class sang some songs. Turns out he was cold because he had a nice high fever setting in. Yep. We're great parents: Let's infect half the kids in church right before Christmas!

2 comments:

KarenK said...

Wow! I'm so glad no one was hurt in the great Window Replacement Plan of 2006. whew.... Hope the "spongy" guy is feeling better. (And I think he has described it perfectly)

Cristy said...

You need a back of the door Hot Wheel holder like the one my guys are getting for Christmas. Oh, and my husband says Walmart is Tuesday morning, Target is on Thursday. Hope that helps. ; )