Saturday, November 11, 2006

More conversations about Peter Pan

Fine young gent (almost 6), at bedtime: Mom, is Peter Pan real?

Me: What do you think, hon?

Fyg: I don't know. Maybe. Is Neverland a real place?

Me: Well, that depends on what you mean. I think Neverland is a pretend place because it's made up of all of your pretends. What do you think?

Fyg: I think it's real. In my Neverland is all the same stuff as Peter Pan. There's even pirates. And swords! (pause) Maybe he's real. I think I hear him crowing outside the window when I'm asleep.

Me: You do? (laugh) Maybe we should get a dog and let the dog sleep in your room so that he can't take you away.

Fyg: No, I want to let him in. He'll teach me and Speedy how to fly! I want to fly to Neverland and fight with pirates!


Oh, heartless children. Barrie didn't quite sentimentalize childhood in the same way that other children's writers have. (Think A. A. Milne's easy-going serene Christopher Robin and his faithful Pooh, or Carrol's sweet fuddled Alice.) He wrote of the disarming selfishness and power of a child's imagination, the time when things were almost real simply because we believed them to be. Barrie reminds us of the time before children outgrow their charming solipsism (charming because they are completely unaware of it), when they take it for granted that our world revolves around theirs. The time when they can fly because they are still "gay and innocent and heartless." My children didn't seem so affected by faithful mother Darling waiting in the nursery with the window open, and weeping at the piano but oh, I was. It's a whole new experience to read Peter Pan now, at the time in my life when I identify more readily with the mother than with Peter or Wendy. I think the elder of the lovely ladies knew that I was near tears when Mrs. Darling finally welcomed her darling Darlings home, in through the window.

But I won't be waiting near the window. In my darling's Neverland everyone is invited.



Fyg: Nooooooo, Mom. Mom!! I know! We'll come wake you up, and the baby, and sisters too. We'll all go to Neverland!

Me: But how will we get there? I thought only children could fly. Remember when Wendy grew up and she couldn't fly any more?

Fyg: (solemnly) In my Neverland even the grown-ups can fly. Peter will teach you too. And we can see the trees underground! And go on a pirate ship! That's what I'm going to do when I go to Neverland!

No comments: