Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Turkey Birthday


Happy Sixth Birthday to my fine young gent.

Six years ago, at this very time of night, your dad was finishing baking the pumpkin pie while I lay on the couch and tried to watch Letterman.

A very short time later, I said "Please put the bags in the car," and your dad said, "I don't think we need to do that yet." He lived to tell the tale. Barely. I'm not quite sure what I said, but it was not. nice. Twenty minutes later we left.

Three hours later a nurse told me not to make so much noise when I pushed. I thought briefly about smacking her, but decided to use my energy to have a baby instead.

Then I held you. I kissed you and named you and nursed you. I have loved you from the moment we met.

You are a light in my life. I miss the sweet roly baby you were, and I am so proud of the truly fine young gentleman you've become. I will miss the five-year-old you; at the same time I look forward to spending time with six-year-old you.

Happy Birthday!

No comments: