Friday, September 15, 2006

Rainy Day


It rained today, so we postponed our plans to do some Action Painting (a la Jackson Pollock). Instead the ladies and gents sketched trees, looking out of the sewing room window. Thirteen- year-old lovely lady is doing a year-long tree study of the filbert tree in the back yard. She spent about 45 minutes on this sketch, inspiring our kindergarten gent to spend a good amount of time on his sketch.

While I was in the kitchen:

Young gent (frustrated): I can't draw!

Lovely lady: I couldn't draw like this in kindergarten. I practiced and practiced. You can draw better than I could when I was five.

YG: Really?

LL: You play the piano better than me because you practice a lot. Besides, remember? "I am always doing what I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso."

YG: Oh yeah!

Multi-age learning at its best.

This year's school motto, and my crazy (according to the kids) idea that we should actually memorize poems and such this school year, has already come in handy. The ladies and gents took a vote, and we ended up with the Picasso quote. I've used the motto a few times already this school year. Something along the lines of, "Of course it's hard, sweetie. If you already knew how to do this we wouldn't need to learn it, right? Remember, 'I am always.....' "

The "I don't like to draw" gent's drawing was quite detailed. My fine young perfectionist drew his sketch on the cardboard back of his sketch pad so that the white patches he colored on the trunk would show. He drew lots of green leaves. And, most importantly, he was proud of his work.




The lovely ladies decided to have a cooking class this afternoon. I tidied and corrected papers.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.....fresh snickerdoodles.


No comments: